Friday, April 8, 2011

A Mother at the Cross, Mary's story

I should have seen it coming, the traveling around, the questions such as "Who are my brothers?" That day in Nazareth when the neighbors got angry at him in the temple. Who could have predicted this? My son Joseph came running to me last Sunday saying "He's done it now, they are waving palms and treating him like a "King", he's really gone too far. Joseph was usually calm but not that day, not at all. He asked me to come with him and talk some sense into Jesus before he gets himself killed by the Romans for treason. I rode on a donkey lead by my son and couldn't help but to remember a time 33 years ago as I rode into Bethlehem on a donkey, both times worrying about Jesus, not sure of the future. I have a strong faith in God but nothing could prepare me for what I was about to experience. We arrived in Jerusalem too late; Jesus was taken captive by Pilot, sent to Herod then back to Pilot. They mocked him calling him "King of the Jews, then he was whipped. It was oh so brutal, I could hear the crack of the whip and the painful cries, I wanted to be with him, to comfort him but that was not possible. The mocking continued, they put a crown of thorns on his and a purple cloak over his shoulders jeering spiting pushing and kicking. Where are his friends why can't someone help him, how can God let this continue, he is His son. Then the cross and that painful, humiliating trek to Golgotha, knowing the worst is yet to come. She remembers the words of the angel so long ago "Be not afraid." I push in closer to Jesus our eyes met but the guards push him on. I could hardly recognize him because of the torturing but though he couldn't speak to me his eyes and heart assured me that as he said so long ago "I am going about my Father's business" They stripped him and drew lots for the tunic I made him. Then they nailed him to the cross and raised it up for him to die. My son, my baby left to die like a criminal. Then I'll never forget what he said, "Forgive them" after all he went through he forgave. The he said "Father into your hands I commend my spirit." Truly my Son was the son of God. I walked away from the tomb with his disciple John and his friend Mary, sad but yet so proud of him and his final words, “FORGIVE THEM”.

No comments:

Post a Comment