Friday, April 8, 2011

Be Still and Know that I am God

When I am trying to pray or meditate, but my “monkey mind” is jumping around and I am unable to become centered, or when I am particularly anxious about something, I practice this very simple meditation on Psalm 46:10, “Be still, and know that I am God!”

The form of meditation is to take slow, deep breaths while repeating the entire verse once; then – continuing to breathe slowly and deeply – repeat the verse by phrases as follows, pausing as long as you wish between each phrase to let it sink in.

               Be still, and know that I am God.

                      Be still, and know that I am.

                              Be still, and know that.

                                    Be still, and know.

                                                    Be still.

                                                          Be.

I repeat this process as many times as I need to until I feel more calm and centered, and my mind and heart feel more spacious and open to receiving God’s presence. Different phrases speak to me at different times. Often it’s “Be still”, or “Be”. This morning, as I was feeling anxious about what is happening in the world and in my own life, the phrases were, “Be still, and know that I am. Be still, and know that. Be still, and know.” I emerged calmer, more centered, and deeply grateful.

You may want to try this meditation and see what emerges for you.

Nancy Warren

No comments:

Post a Comment