Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Lent and the "Three Legged Stool"

As a child, a cradle Episcopalian, Lent was mysterious, dreaded and made little sense. As children, we were told that we must give up something for Lent. No, giving up helping to wash the dinner dishes did not count. We had to give up something we liked, such as candy. So for me it really was chocolate! The Sunday before Ash Wednesday, our Sunday school teachers would chart the things each child was giving up. Then each Sunday we report to the class on our progress. Few, if any of us, ever kept our fast for the entire 40 days. When we reported that we had failed, we were treated like sinners - told to repent, pray and try harder the next week. Why we were doing all this was never explained - or at least it did not stick with me. Something about helping us to better understand how Jesus suffered and to just have faith. Lent was dreaded. It stood for dreary, sometimes scary music, bare altars, meatless meals on Wednesdays and Fridays and church school on Wednesday afternoon as well as Sunday. Looking back on it all, it is amazing that I remained an Episcopalian.


Then this Sunday afternoon my grandson reminded me once again why I am an Episcopalian. He is participating in the confirmation class for teens. This week's lesson was on the "Three Legged Stool" theology of the Episcopal church based on Scripture, Tradition and Reason. After our discussion, I was thrilled to realize he "gets it" and understands how important these three legs are to an Episcopalian. He understands Lent and many other aspects of the Episcopal church far better than I did as a teen because along the way people have taken the time to use the "three legged stool" to explain our faith to him and not simply state as I received, "You just have to believe and have faith".

As an adult, I have applied the "Three Legged Stool" to my personal practice of Lent. At first it was an unconscious or subconscious exercise, but now it is very purposeful. No more giving up chocolate. Now I look forward to Lent. It is a time I set aside for personal renewal and spiritual growth. I do not give up something, but try to add something to my spiritual journey. Just as I evaluate my secular life at the beginning of each new year, I do the same during Lent for my spiritual life. I take a good hard look at my journey and new horizons for myself. I use the parts of the three legged stool. For scripture, I make this a time to read something that will aid my scriptural understanding. This year I am reading "The Last Week" by Marcus Borg and John Dominic Crossan about what the Gospels teach us about Jesus' final days in Jerusalem. For tradition, I am trying to better understand "my neighbor" in two areas of the world by reading "Neighbor", by Ben Daniel, a book about illegal immigration and the book "Haiti" by Philippe Girard. Armed with this new knowledge, I rely on meditation and prayer to help me better glimpse the path God wants me to follow for this next part of my life. Using the "three legged stool" I have come to believe that you find God in the "stranger " and a part of the kingdom of God lies within ourselves. During each Lent I do not give up something, but ask God to guide me as I seek him and his kingdom. .

Dandy

No comments:

Post a Comment