Thursday, March 31, 2011

Slowing Down







For me, these first few weeks of Lent have a core focus of caring for Diane before, during and after her knee surgery. Little victories are celebrated-like coming home from the hospital and then going back to Prince Frederick to have the staples removed, and finding out that everything is going really well, then stopping at Starbucks and treating ourselves to smoothies. Life slows down.

Part of my routine these days is preparing for adult Sunday School. This past week we studied John 4:5-42, which I suspect is the longest Gospel reading in the lectionary, and brimming with issues and nuances, from Samaritan woman to living water to sowing and reaping. My slowing down with Diane gave me a chance to read it again and again, but I still fussed about whether I was ready to lead the discussion. Then it snowed on Saturday night! Snow always slows things down, and I love to tale pictures of the snow, and the church grounds is one of my favorite places. The daffodils were up in front of Middleham Chapel and covered with snow.


So I thought, we may have one or two people for Sunday School. To my surprise and delight, eleven people came, together with great reflections about the gospel. So slowing things down makes good things happen.


Hugh Davies



No comments:

Post a Comment