Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Perspective

It seems that much of what we experience in life depends on our perspective of what it is that happens to us. Do you view challenges, good or bad, as opportunities to be met head on, with strength and perseverance, or as an invasion of your personal routine that completely throws you off track into an abyss of depression and worry?

Do you see the glass as half full or half empty? For me, I usually end up with Door Number 1, but sometimes, in the beginning, Door Number 2 smacks me in the gut, until I get my bearings.

I recently had a back ache. For those of you who have suffered back pain and know what I’m talking about, maybe I should rephrase that description. PAIN! I was told to take some over-the-counter pain relief and that eventually I would recover. I am currently feeling much better, but I still feel I need be conscious of how I move. I knew, somehow, that I would probably recover, sooner than later. Compared to the pain and suffering going on in the world today, particularly in Japan after the recent earthquake, tsunami and nuclear power problems, my singular pain seems somehow seriously insignificant. Recovering from this incomprehensible disaster will take years. Perspective.

In the season of Lent, we are given the opportunity to do some soul searching and thinking about our faith . Traditionally we are supposed to engage in fasting, almsgiving and praying. We have modified these to better fit our lifestyle. Giving up something for Lent allows us to focus on our spiritual strength and perseverance in following Christ. While doing without something for 40 days may throw off your routine, the change it requires challenges you to be more aware of what sacrifice is all about. Lent is not only about giving up something, but also giving of yourself. Be grateful that you have what you have and consider giving your time or treasure to someone less fortunate. Praying, any time, any where, any way, for anyone, works.

Joan Shisler

No comments:

Post a Comment